Awards and Partnerships
YWS is proud to be a sister agency with Youth Empowerment & Support Services (YESS) in Edmonton, Alberta. This partnership facilitates the sharing of best practices and learnings in the areas of client services, funds development and facilities management.
In 2007, after considerable research on the needs of homeless youth and the challenges they face, YWS expanded operations to add the 20 bed Stay in School Program residence to our existing 30 bed emergency shelter. This added a critical new dimension to our services by offering youth a long-term option to focus on their education. The Ontario Association of Hostels recognized Stay in School in 2008 with the Major Leonard Frost Award for demonstrating exemplary initiative in enabling clients of hostel services to become integrated members of their community.
Toronto Community News designated YWS a 2009 Urban Hero for: “providing a safe haven and a means to a new beginning for young people who have experienced more hardship, loss and disappointment than most of us will have to face in our lifetime.”
Since 2010 Charity Intelligence has named YWS a top charity pick. What does this mean? Kate Bahen, Managing Director of Charity Intelligence explains: “These outstanding charities have distinguished themselves through their operations, strong management and efficiency, and most importantly, their bottomline results in helping Canadians, making them national leaders in their work. For donors who are looking for the best outcomes for their giving, these charities deserve strong consideration and donations.”
Humber College School of Community and Social Services selected YWS as their 2011 Agency of Distinction. “We know that YWS will continue to teach Humber students about how they are determined to find solutions to homelessness, and as a result continually supporting, educating and advocating for youth in their community.”
On January 27, 2012 YWS was awarded a Youth Impact Award from the Rotary Club of Toronto West. These awards recognize those who give of their time and effort to make a significant impact in the community to help youth at risk.
November 2015: YWS is one of 10 diverse high impact charities selected by Charity Intelligence to be part of CI Canadian Charity Impact Fund Impact is measured through our SROI (Social Return on Investment) which is a ratio that measures the amount of value created per dollar donated. Click here to view YWS’s Impact Rating.
Youth Without Shelter is a partner of the Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness. As a CAEH Partner we agree:
- To support the mission of preventing and ending homelessness in Canada.
- That an end to homelessness in Canada will be achieved when no Canadian individual or family stays in an emergency homeless shelter or sleeps outside longer than one week before moving into a safe, decent, affordable home with the support needed to sustain it;
- To act within their capacity to achieve that mission;
- To support the four core principles of the Housing First philosophy that form the basis of community plans to end homelessness:
- consumer choice and self-determination in all housing and support services;
- provide direct access to permanent housing with the support necessary to sustain it;
- housing is a Human Right and is not conditional on sobriety or program participation;
- social inclusion, self-sufficiency and improved quality of life and health to the greatest extent possible is the ultimate objective of housing and support services
MoneySense released its 2019 Top 100 Charity List to assist donors in making informed decisions during the busy 2019 holiday season. Youth Without Shelter is one of those charities – and is recognized as the top charity in the youth category. The ranking is based upon financial transparency (both fundraising and charity) and social results transparency (how donations are being used to create impact, and the sharing of that story).
You can view the complete list and YWS’s ranking by clicking here.
In December of 2019, YWS was nominated as one of Macleans top 100 charities in the Canada’s Best Charities 2020: Top 100 report. YWS rated at the top of the overall list in the second highest percentile, and top of the list with highest percentile in the youth category with an overall rating of 97.5%.